Britain, France and Germany launched a 30-day process to reimpose U.N. sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program on Thursday, a step prone to stoke tensions two months after Israel and the US bombed Iran, in accordance with a letter sent by E3 to the U.N. Security Council seen by Reuters.
The trio, referred to as the E3, said in an announcement they’d decided to trigger the so-called snapback mechanism before they lose the flexibility in mid-October to revive sanctions on Tehran that were lifted under a 2015 nuclear accord with world powers.
They’ve held several rounds of talks with Iran since Israel and the US struck its nuclear installations in mid-June, aiming to comply with defer the mechanism but they deemed that talks in Geneva on Tuesday didn’t yield sufficiently tangible commitments from Iran.
The E3 have pressed ahead now over accusations that Iran has violated the 2015 deal that aimed to stop Tehran from developing a nuclear weapon. The US, which was party to that deal, pulled out under President Donald Trump in 2018, and held failed indirect negotiations earlier this 12 months with Tehran.
The E3, whose ministers informed U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio of their decision on Wednesday, said they hoped that Iran would engage by the tip of September to offer commitments over its nuclear program that can persuade them to defer concrete motion.

Get every day National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
“The E3 are committed to using every diplomatic tool available to make sure Iran never develops a nuclear weapon. That features our decision to trigger the ‘snapback’ mechanism today through this notification,” they said within the letter.
“The E3’s commitment to a diplomatic solution nonetheless stays steadfast. The E3 will fully make use of the 30-day period following the notification to be able to resolve the difficulty giving rise to the notification.”

Iran has previously warned of a “harsh response” if sanctions are reinstated.
The E3 had offered to increase the snapback for as much as six months to enable serious negotiations if Iran resumes full U.N. inspections – which might also seek to account for Iran’s large stock of enriched uranium that has not been verified for the reason that June strikes – and engages in talks with the US.
The U.N. process takes 30 days before sanctions that will cover Iran’s financial, banking, hydrocarbons and defense sectors are restored.
Growing fears of renewed United Nations sanctions under the snapback mechanism are fueling frustration in Iran, where economic anxiety is rising and political divisions are deepening, three insiders near the federal government said.
Because the prospect of tighter international restrictions threatens to further isolate the Islamic Republic, officials in Tehran remain split — with hardliners urging defiance and confrontation, while moderates advocate diplomacy.
Iran’s rial weakened sharply since Wednesday after a Reuters report in regards to the E3 moving to trigger the return of United Nations sanctions.
Iran has been enriching uranium to as much as 60 per cent fissile purity, a brief step from the roughly 90 per cent of weapons-grade, and had enough material enriched to that level, if refined further, for six nuclear weapons, before the strikes by Israel began on June 13, in accordance with the IAEA.
Actually producing a weapon would take more time, nonetheless, and the IAEA has said that while it cannot guarantee Tehran’s nuclear program is entirely peaceful, it has no credible indication of a coordinated weapons project.
The West says the advancement of Iran’s nuclear program goes beyond civilian needs, while Tehran denies it’s looking for nuclear weapons.