Gina Carano explained why planned UFC fight with Ronda Rousey never happened years before Netflix bout

Gina Carano has spoken openly previously about how her communications with Dana White broke down.

On May 16, Carano will face Ronda Rousey in what might be her first MMA bout since 2009.

The news of each women making their comebacks was surprising enough but the opposite details also turned some heads following the announcement.

Jake Paul reacted to the Rousey vs Carano news attributable to the undeniable fact that this fight will headline his promotion’s first MMA event and convey the game to Netflix for the primary time.

We could’ve seen these two fighters meet in a dream bout way back around 2014 if the president of the UFC had handled things in another way.

Gina Carano said that Dana White’s handling of her UFC fight with Ronda Rousey saw it collapse

Making a return to MMA in 2014 would’ve already been a giant step for Gina Carano to take following a loss to Cris Cyborg in 2009 being the ultimate fight on her record.

Nevertheless, the UFC showed significant interest in pitting her against their bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey.

Carano detailed what went unsuitable to stop this fight from happening when saying in a 2019 appearance on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show that Dana White had offered a million dollars for the fight.

She said that while she was “stoked” in regards to the idea, her message to the UFC president was that she’d need them to be patient because it could take her some time to construct a team, return to regular training and begin cutting some weight.

“So I told him, ‘You’ve got to only have the ability to sit down on this for about six months, Dana,’” she recalled. “‘You may’t say anything and let me get situated with that in mind because that sounds great and I’d like to do it.’”

Things immediately spiraled when White spoke about this within the media the very next day, which Carano says only made things harder for her.

Any likelihood of the fight happening ended when she claims to have received a text message from White that used explicit language about her holding the fight up.

Her response questioning whether it was sent to the unsuitable person was met with the UFC boss doubling down that it was meant for her, though Carano did add that he later apologized for this in person.

“I don’t think that that was the type of environment I wanted to come back back in to and so I just cut all communication after that text,” she explained.

Photo by Mathew Tsang/Getty Images

Gina Carano found success outside of fighting after her UFC clash with Ronda Rousey fell apart

Gina Carano didn’t get the prospect to fight Ronda Rousey within the UFC but that didn’t stop her from landing big opportunities elsewhere.

She’d appeared in Fast & Furious 6 the yr before there have been talks of her debuting contained in the Octagon, and her pursuit of an acting profession might have been derailed by a switch back to MMA.

As a substitute, her continued concentrate on this path led to her landing even greater roles in projects like 2016’s Deadpool and 2019’s The Mandalorian.

Carano can have been dropped from the forged in 2021 following controversial social media posts, resulting in a lawsuit with Disney, however the dream bout with Rousey has now come back around for her.

Related Post

Leave a Reply