Scott McTominay speaks out on his Napoli future amid Man Utd return links | Football

Scott McTominay has spoken out on his future in Italy (Picture: Getty Images)

Scott McTominay has talked up a long-term future with Napoli, despite transfer speculation linking him with a return to Manchester United.

The midfielder has been a giant hit with Napoli since his move from Old Trafford in 2024, having fun with a primary season beyond all expectations.

The Scotland international was crowned Serie A Footballer of the Yr as Antonio Conte’s side won the title and McTominay scored 12 league goals from midfield.

Napoli appear unlikely to repeat that feat, sitting third in Serie A, but 14 points behind leaders Inter, ahead of Sunday’s clash with Atalanta.

McTominay has continued to be influential, though, scoring 10 goals in all competitions, including one in his last outing, a 3-2 win at Genoa.

His performances in Italy have seen the 29-year-old linked with a move back to Manchester United, with the Red Devils keen so as to add to their midfield this summer.

It was an area of the pitch identified for improvement last 12 months and the problem has develop into more pressing with the announcement that Casemiro will leave at the tip of the season.

Get your football fix

Don’t desire to miss the week’s biggest football stories? Metro’s exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.

From the newest transfer rumours and managerial moves to evaluation of the largest games and rather a lot more, our experts have you ever covered.

Enroll here, it’s an open goal.

F.C. Copenhagen v SSC Napoli - UEFA Champions League 2025/26 League Phase MD7
McTominay has scored 4 Champions League goals this season (Picture: Getty Images)

McTominay has been touted as a possible signing, although the likes of Elliot Anderson, Adam Wharton and Carlos Baleba are also within the running.

The Scotland star has done nothing to encourage rumours of a Premier League return, saying he may possibly stay at Napoli for the foreseeable future, even perhaps beyond his current contract, which runs until 2028.

‘My agent has not communicated with anyone regarding my future,’ McTominay told Corriere dello Sport.

Genoa CFC v SSC Napoli - Serie A
McTominay quickly became a hugely popular figure at Napoli (Picture: Getty Images)

‘He only speaks with me and with the club. He hasn’t said anything to the newspapers. I’m extremely completely happy here and, so far as I’m concerned, I’m a Napoli player; it’s all I take into consideration.

‘The long run could be very vital, and I could see myself in Napoli for a very long time.

‘I really like this place. Difficulties have been minimal, my family is completely happy and I’m completely happy.’

FC Internazionale v SSC Napoli - Serie A
Antonio Conte has found something in McTominay that wasn’t unlocked at Manchester United (Picture: Getty Images)

Corriere dello Sport report that Napoli are keen on extending McTominay’s contract beyond his current deal until 2030.

Working under Conte and playing in a more advanced role to the one he took up at Old Trafford has worked beautifully for McTominay.

‘At Napoli, I’ve grown each from a tactical viewpoint and a physical one,’ he said. ‘Tactically, Italy is different from the Premier League. I needed to adapt and learn in a short time learn how to play, what movements to make… learn how to develop into an issue within the opponent’s area and likewise learn how to defend.

‘Antonio is a terrific coach, very strong, passionate, he knows football thoroughly. He’s different from anyone else I actually have had up to now.’

Related Post

Leave a Reply