What to learn about Ebola outbreak as WHO declares global health emergency – National

The World Health Organization declared the Ebola disease outbreak attributable to a rare virus in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, with at the very least 131 suspected deaths and greater than 500 suspected cases.

The virus spread undetected for weeks after the primary known death as authorities tested for a more common kind of Ebola and got here up negative, health experts and aid staff said.

This Bundibugyo virus has no approved medicines or vaccines.

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday that he’s “deeply concerned in regards to the scale and spread” of the outbreak.


Click to play video: 'Ebola outbreak ‘may be larger than currently detected,’ WHO says as cases spike in Uganda, Congo'


Ebola outbreak ‘could also be larger than currently detected,’ WHO says as cases spike in Uganda, Congo


He said that the United Nations health agency will convene its emergency committee later Tuesday to debate the outbreak. He pointed to the emergence of cases in urban areas, the deaths of health-care staff and significant population movement.

Story continues below commercial

“That is the primary time that a director-general has declared a PHEIC (public health emergency of international concern) before convening an emergency committee. I didn’t do that calmly,” he added.

Laboratory testing has linked 30 cases to the viral outbreak, Ghebreyesus said at a gathering in Geneva. He added that there may be one U.S. citizen confirmed positive and transferred to Germany.

The U.S. citizen is an American doctor, Peter Stafford, who had been treating patients at a hospital in Bunia when he developed symptoms, Serge, the organization he works for, said in a press release.

Three other employees of Serge were working at the identical hospital — including Stafford’s wife — but will not be showing symptoms.

Story continues below commercial

Health authorities say the present outbreak, first confirmed on Friday, is attributable to the Bundibugyo virus, a rare variant of the Ebola disease that has no approved therapeutics or vaccines.

Although greater than 20 Ebola outbreaks have taken place in Congo and Uganda, this is simply the third time that the Bundibugyo virus has been detected.

Ebola disease is a severe, often fatal illness that affects humans and other primates, in keeping with the WHO.

The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals, akin to fruit bats, porcupines and non-human primates, including gorillas, monkeys and chimpanzees, after which spreads within the human population through direct contact with blood, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people and with surfaces and materials, akin to clothing and bedding, contaminated with the fluids.

Story continues below commercial

The WHO says that the common Ebola disease case fatality rate is around 50 per cent, while case fatality rates have varied from 25 to 90 per cent in past outbreaks.

The primary Ebola disease outbreaks occurred in distant villages in Central Africa, near tropical rainforests, in keeping with the WHO. The 2014-2016 Ebola virus disease outbreak in West Africa was the most important and most complex Ebola outbreak because the virus was first discovered in 1976, the organization said.

The incubation period is from two to 21 days. An infected person cannot spread the disease until they develop symptoms.


Click to play video: 'Risk of spread high after Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda'


Risk of spread high after Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda


Symptoms of Ebola disease can include fever, fatigue, chills, muscle pain, headache and sore throat. The primary symptoms are followed by vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, rash and symptoms of impaired kidney and liver functions.

Story continues below commercial

The WHO says that early intensive supportive care, including rehydration with oral or intravenous fluids and treatment of specific symptoms, will help improve survival. A spread of potential treatments is currently being evaluated.

Receive the latest medical news and health information delivered to you every Sunday.

Get weekly health news

Receive the most recent medical news and health information delivered to you each Sunday.

There’s currently no approved treatment for Ebola disease in Canada. Patients can receive oxygen, intravenous fluids and other drugs in designated treatment sites to assist with symptoms, in keeping with the Canadian government.

A vaccine called Ervebo is approved in Canada to stop Ebola disease attributable to the Ebola virus nevertheless it just isn’t a part of beneficial routine immunizations or vaccinations before travel. As a substitute, it could possibly be used to assist control an outbreak in Canada.

In Canada, the danger of getting Ebola disease could be very low, because the viruses that could cause the disease are naturally present in certain animals in Africa, in keeping with the federal government of Canada.

There have been no cases of Ebola disease in Canada and no animals in Canada have been found to be naturally infected with a virus that could cause Ebola disease, the federal government notes.

How Bundibugyo virus is spread

Bundibugyo has caused two other outbreaks in the identical region of the Congo River basin, said Dr. Tom Ksiazek, a University of Texas Medical Branch virologist and veterinarian. He directed the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Special Pathogens Branch.

Story continues below commercial

The Bundibugyo virus was first detected in Uganda’s Bundibugyo district during a 2007-2008 outbreak that infected 149 people and killed 37. The second time was in 2012, in an outbreak in Isiro, Congo, where 57 cases and 29 deaths were reported.

The virus is spread the identical way as other Ebola viruses: through close contact with sick or deceased patients’ bodily fluids, akin to sweat, blood, feces or vomit. Health-care staff and relations caring for sick patients face the very best risk, experts said.

“So fairly often we see doctors and nurses among the many first to be infected and to die,” said Célin Gounder, editor-at-large for public health at KFF Health News.

From the few outbreaks health experts have seen, Bundibugyo could be barely less deadly than what is usually called Zaire virus, essentially the most common species.

“I feel a 30 per cent-plus mortality rate remains to be quite scary, nevertheless it’s hard to say with a number of precision because we don’t have a number of experience,” Gounder said.


Click to play video: 'Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda raises fears of wider regional spread'


Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda raises fears of wider regional spread


In the opposite two Bundibugyo outbreaks, initial cases were identified early, Ksiazek said, allowing for a fast public health response: getting health-care staff proper protective equipment, finding and isolating individuals who were exposed and offering supportive medical care to patients. Proper medical care “reduces mortality significantly,” he said.

Story continues below commercial

That features giving patients plenty of IV or oral fluids, Gounder said.

“This epidemic is attributable to Bundibugyo virus, a species of Ebola virus for which there aren’t any vaccines or therapeutics,” Ghebreyesus said. “Within the absence of a vaccine, there are lots of other measures countries can take to stop the spread of this virus and save lives even without medical countermeasures, including risk communication and community engagement.”


WHO’s Dr. Anne Ancia said that Bundibugyo virus is one in every of which “there isn’t any licensed vaccines or treatment.”

“I don’t think that we’ve got the ‘patient zero’ for now. What we all know is that on [the] fifth of May, there was a one who died in Bunia. The body was brought back in Mongbwalu. That body was put in a coffin after which the family decided that the coffin was not definitely worth the person, and subsequently what they did, they modified the coffin,” Ancia said.

“Then there was the funeral and it’s from where it began. That’s what we all know of course. Now we’ve got diagnosed it and we really want to go fast to essentially attempt to stop the spread of disease further,” she added.

How public medical experts try to contain the outbreak

Medical examiners at the moment are working to seek out and isolate cases, trace their contacts and educate people about the way to avoid the virus.

Story continues below commercial

Within the West African epidemic, ensuring protected methods of burial was key to stopping the spread, said Gounder, because people were getting sick from preparing their family members’ bodies for funeral rites. Ensuring medical experts have proper protective equipment can be critical, experts said.

“After all, it’s problematic because vaccines are a few of our greatest tools for combating infectious diseases,” Lina Moses, an epidemiologist and disease ecologist at Tulane University, told The Associated Press. But other public health tools — public education, contact tracing and quick testing — still work, she said.

“It’s necessary to consider that each single Ebola outbreak that has occurred within the (Democratic Republic of the Congo) — we’re on our seventeenth now — has been stopped,” she said.

The WHO has delivered nearly 12 tonnes of emergency supplies to support the Ebola response within the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Story continues below commercial

Dr. Richard Kitenge, chief of operations on the Centre des Opérations d’Urgence de Santé Publique, a part of Congo’s National Institute of Public Health, recently arrived in Ituri. He said that while the risks could also be high, Congo has weathered previous outbreaks.

“Now we have managed enough epidemics within the country without treatment. The Zaire virus, which we managed, was also untreated in several epidemics, and never everyone died,” Kitenge told The Associated Press.

False negative Ebola tests delayed the response

Congo has said the primary person died from the virus on April 24 in Bunia, and the body was repatriated to the Mongbwalu health zone, a mining area with a big population.

“That caused the Ebola outbreak to escalate,” said Congo’s Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba.

When one other person fell unwell on April 26, samples were sent to Congo’s capital, Kinshasa, for testing, in keeping with the Africa CDC. Bunia is greater than 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) away in a rustic with a number of the world’s worst infrastructure.

Story continues below commercial

Samples from Bunia were initially tested for the more common kind of Ebola, Zaire, Congolese officials said. They got here back negative, said Dr. Richard Kitenge, the health ministry incident manager for Ebola, and native authorities assumed it was not the virus.


Click to play video: 'WHO confirms new Ebola outbreak in remote Congo province'


WHO confirms recent Ebola outbreak in distant Congo province


Only laboratories in Kinshasa and Goma, which is now controlled by the M23 rebel group, have the capability to check for the Bundibugyo virus. It was not clear what measures the Rwanda-backed rebels were taking within the outbreak.

On May 5, the WHO was alerted to about 50 deaths in Mongbwalu, including 4 medical experts. The primary confirmation of Ebola got here on May 14.

“Our surveillance system didn’t work,” said Jean-Jaques Muyembe, a virologist on the National Institute of Bio-Medical Research.

“The Bunia laboratory … must have continued searching and sent the samples to the national laboratory. Something went flawed there. That’s why we ended up on this catastrophic situation,” he said, and asserted that members of parliament and senators were aware “there have been deaths and nothing was being said.”

Story continues below commercial

—with files from The Associated Press


Related Post

Leave a Reply