Trump, Rubio float U.S. military intervention in Cuba after Castro charges – National

U.S. President Donald Trump and America’s top diplomat on Thursday again raised the specter of U.S. military intervention in Cuba, a renewed threat that takes on greater weight a day after the administration announced criminal charges against the island’s former leader, Raúl Castro.

Trump said previous U.S. presidents have considered intervening in Cuba for many years but that “it looks like I’ll be the one which does it.”

“Other presidents have checked out this for 50, 60 years, doing something,” Trump told reporters when asked about Cuba during an environmental event within the Oval Office. “And, it looks like I’ll be the one which does it. So, I can be comfortable to do it.”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters individually that Cuba has been a national security threat for years due to its ties to U.S. adversaries and that Trump is intent on addressing it.

Story continues below commercial

Rubio says the US prefers a negotiated agreement with Cuba

Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants who has long taken a hard-line against Cuba’s socialist leadership, said the Trump administration desires to resolve differences with Cuba peacefully but is doubtful the U.S. can reach a diplomatic resolution with the island’s current government.

Trump’s “preference is all the time a negotiated agreement that’s peaceful. That’s all the time our preference. That continues to be our preference with Cuba,” Rubio said in Miami before boarding a plane to attend a NATO meeting in Sweden after which visit India.

“I’m just being honest with you, , the likelihood of that taking place, given who we’re coping with without delay, shouldn’t be high,” he said.


Click to play video: 'Cuba says it has run out of fuel after months-long US blockade'


Cuba says it has run out of fuel after months-long US blockade


Top Trump aides — including Rubio, CIA chief John Ratcliffe and other senior national security officials — have met with Cuban officials in recent months to explore possible improvements in relations. However the U.S. side has come away unimpressed from those talks, resulting in much more sanctions imposed on the Cuban government previously week.

Story continues below commercial

Over time, Cuba has gotten used to “buying time and waiting us out,” Rubio said. “They’re not going to give you the chance to attend us out or buy time. We’re very serious, we’re very focused.”

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox because it happens so you will not miss a trending story.

When asked whether the U.S. would use force in Cuba to alter the island’s political system, Rubio repeated that a diplomatic settlement was preferred but noted that “the president all the time has the choice to do whatever it takes to support and protect the national interest.”

He pushed back on a reporter’s suggestion that it seemed like “nation-building,” insisting it was about addressing a national security risk.

Latest threats follow US announcement of charges against Castro

Federal prosecutors on Wednesday unveiled an indictment that accuses Castro of ordering the shootdown in 1996 of civilian planes flown by Miami-based exiles. The costs, which were secretly filed by a grand jury in April, included murder and destruction of an airplane.

Story continues below commercial

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has condemned the indictment as a political stunt that sought only to “justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba.”



Click to play video: 'US brings criminal charges against Cuba’s Raul Castro'


US brings criminal charges against Cuba’s Raul Castro


The Castro indictment has led many to imagine that the Trump administration is following the identical playbook it did when it captured then-Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro in a military operation in early January. Maduro, who has been imprisoned within the U.S. since his seizure, faces federal drug trafficking charges and has pleaded not guilty.

The U.S. military touted the arrival of the usNimitz aircraft carrier and accompanying ships to the Caribbean Sea on the identical day the fees against Castro were announced. U.S. Southern Command said the ships are collaborating in maritime exercises with partners in Latin America that began in March.

Rubio wouldn’t discuss how the U.S. might move to implement the indictment against Castro, who turns 95 next month.

Story continues below commercial

Trump has been threatening military motion in Cuba ever since ousting Maduro after which ordering an energy blockade that choked off fuel shipments to Cuba. That has led to severe blackouts, food shortages and an economic collapse across the island.


Click to play video: '‘They’re incompetent communists’: Marco Rubio blasts Cuban regime amid oil blockade'


‘They’re incompetent communists’: Marco Rubio blasts Cuban regime amid oil blockade


Trump has ratcheted up talk of regime change in Cuba after pledging to conduct a “friendly takeover” of the country if its leadership didn’t open its economy to American investment and kick out U.S. adversaries.

On Thursday, Rubio said Cuba poses a serious national security threat to America due to its security and intelligence ties with China and Russia and friendly relations with U.S. foes in Latin America.

China opposes U.S. sanctions and pressure on Cuba, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Guo Jiakun, said Thursday.

“China firmly supports Cuba in safeguarding its national sovereignty and national dignity and opposes external interference,” Guo added.

Story continues below commercial

Associated Press writers Simina Mistreanu in Bangkok and Ben Finley in Washington contributed to this report.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Related Post

Leave a Reply