First pictures inside Maldives cave where six died have been released | News World

Five Italians on a research trip were killed during a dive into the 160 ft deep ‘shark cave’ within the Devana Kandu cave system last week (Picture: Instagram/DanEurope)

The primary pictures from the Maldives cave where six people have died have been released.

Five Italians on a research trip were killed during a dive into the 160 ft deep ‘shark cave’ within the Devana Kandu cave system last week.

Images published by Dan Europe reveal the underwater passages before natural light diminishes and the tunnels are plunged into darkness.

The bodies of ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and marine biologist Federico Gualtieri have all been recovered.

They were accompanied by diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, whose body was found last week.

In total six people have been killed as a part of the cave dive, with Maldivian military rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee dying from decompression illness on Saturday during a recovery mission.

Join for all of the newest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

First images from Maldives cave released Finnish elite divers have posted the first pictures from the cave where five Italian divers died on Instagram. Into Thinwana Kandu / Part I At the cave entrance. - The first striking images from the cave system, captured during the final dive of the mission by @sami_paakkarinen for DAN. For the first time, the photos show the rescue team operating inside the initial cavern section where natural light still filters through the entrance before the system descends into darkness. - Honor to the rescuers and the team. A prayer for the victims and their loved ones. We continue to work closely with the authorities as the case moves forward.
Images published by Dan Europe reveal the underwater passages before natural light diminishes and the tunnels are plunged into darkness
First images from Maldives cave released Finnish elite divers have posted the first pictures from the cave where five Italian divers died on Instagram. Into Thinwana Kandu / Part II Inside the inner chambers. - This second series of images documents the more confined inner sections of the cave, where visibility can rapidly disappear due to disturbed coral sediment and navigation becomes more complex. These are the environments where the rescue team operated during the search & recovery mission over the past days. - Honor to the rescuers and the team. A prayer for the victims and their loved ones. We continue to work closely with the authorities as the case moves forward.
In total six people have been killed as a part of the cave dive

Sharing the photographs on Instagram, diving organisation Dan Europe said: ‘Natural light still filters through the doorway before the system descends into darkness.’

The professional-divers found the Italians in a corridor with a dead-end inside, Italy’s every day newspaper La Repubblica reported.

The corporate’s CEO said: ‘There was no way out from there,.’

Near the doorway to the cave there may be a really large and shiny cavern with a sandy bottom, with a corridor at the top.

The corridor has little light but ‘visibility, using artificial lighting, was excellent’, the CEO said.

First images from Maldives cave released Finnish elite divers have posted the first pictures from the cave where five Italian divers died on Instagram. Into Thinwana Kandu / Part I At the cave entrance. - The first striking images from the cave system, captured during the final dive of the mission by @sami_paakkarinen for DAN. For the first time, the photos show the rescue team operating inside the initial cavern section where natural light still filters through the entrance before the system descends into darkness. - Honor to the rescuers and the team. A prayer for the victims and their loved ones. We continue to work closely with the authorities as the case moves forward.
Near the doorway to the cave there may be a really large and shiny cavern with a sandy bottom, with a corridor at the top
First images from Maldives cave released Finnish elite divers have posted the first pictures from the cave where five Italian divers died on Instagram. Into Thinwana Kandu / Part I At the cave entrance. - The first striking images from the cave system, captured during the final dive of the mission by @sami_paakkarinen for DAN. For the first time, the photos show the rescue team operating inside the initial cavern section where natural light still filters through the entrance before the system descends into darkness. - Honor to the rescuers and the team. A prayer for the victims and their loved ones. We continue to work closely with the authorities as the case moves forward.
There may be one other corridor within the chamber which might easily be confused for the one the divers entered through resulting from a sandbank which looks like a wall obstructing vision

It was 30 metres long , resulting in a second chamber which is large but has no natural light.

But there may be one other corridor within the chamber which might easily be confused for the one the divers entered through resulting from a sandbank which looks like a wall obstructing vision.

This corridor is simply just a few metres long, but was where the divers’ bodies were discovered.

Marroni said: ‘The divers’ bodies were all found inside, as in the event that they had mistaken it for the fitting one.’

Get in contact with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Related Post

Leave a Reply