Senators deny Con-Ass talks – BusinessWorld Online

BW FILE PHOTO

SENATORS Vicente C. Sotto III and Panfilo “Ping” M. Lacson denied claims that they’ve discussed plans to carry a constitutional assembly (Con-Ass) to amend the constitutional age limit for the highest two offices to allegedly disqualify Vice-President Sara Duterte-Carpio.

In a message sent to reporters via Viber, Mr. Sotto, Senate minority leader, clarified that a press release he made on the age requirement adjustment has been misconceived following Senator Maria Imelda “Imee” R. Marcos’ claims of a constitutional assembly.

“She [Ms. Marcos] was unsuitable. Ping was right. We never discussed the constitutional assembly,” Mr. Sotto said in mixed Filipino and English. “I also said ‘if ever there may be an amendment to the Consti(tution), I prefer, we lower the age for President and senators’ it’s simply friendly talk.”

Mr. Lacson on Friday also belied the claims, saying that no talks of a constitutional assembly have been brought up even within the caucuses held by the minority.

Ms. Marcos previously claimed that the constitutional assembly is aimed toward adjusting the age requirement for presidents to 50 years old from 40.

She also alleged that there have been plans to amend the Structure to increase the terms of upper officials.

“Flat lies, outright lies,” Mr. Lacson said in a press statement. “If there are plans to convene a constitutional assembly, we don’t know that. We don’t know what end state they need to see.” — Kaela Patricia B. Gabriel

Related Post

Leave a Reply