Kneecap, the Irish rap group that stirred controversy earlier this 12 months over their anti-Israel, pro-Palestine messaging during their Coachella set back in April, have been forced to cancel their upcoming U.S. tour, the group announced on Monday.
“To all our US based fans we have now some bad news. As a result of the proximity of our next court hearing in London to the primary date of the tour, because the British government continues it’s witch-hunt, we could have to cancel all 15 US tour dates in October, Kneecap wrote on social media on Monday. “With every show fully sold out, to tens of 1000’s of fans, that is news we’re sad to deliver. But once we win our court case, which we are going to, we promise to embark on an excellent larger tour to all you excellent heads. Refunds can be found at point of purchase.”
While the group cited legal struggles within the U.K., as The Hollywood Reporter reported back in April, the status of Kneecap’s U.S. tour became uncertain after they parted ways with booking agency Independent Artist Group, which served because the trio’s visa sponsor. It’s common for booking agents to function visa sponsors for international artists, but when the agency stops working with the artist, their visa sponsorship ends as well.
Kneecap and IAG had parted ways after the primary weekend of Coachella, before the group drew significant criticism from Jewish and pro-Israel groups after sharing a “fuck Israel, Free Palestine” message on stage during their weekend 2 performance. It’s unclear what the status of their U.S. visa situation is as of now, or if the group had signed one other U.S. booking agency to sponsor them. Outside of U.S., the band is represented by Primary Talent International.
A representative for Kneecap didn’t immediately reply to request for comment. The cancellation only impacted the U.S. dates. As Kneecap confirmed of their announcement Monday, all 4 of their Canadian show dates will proceed as planned.
Through the criticism, Kneecap has denied allegations of antisemitism, arguing that their message is concentrated on the Israeli government’s actions.
“We don’t give a f*ck what religion anyone practices,” the band previously said in an announcement. “We all know there are massive numbers of Jewish people outraged by this genocide just as we’re. What we care about is that governments of the countries we perform in are enabling a number of the most horrific crimes of our lifetimes – and we is not going to stay silent.”
Prior to the U.S. cancellation, the band had been touring across Europe, including a raucous set at Glastonbury back in June. While the tour’s out, Kneecap said of their announcement Monday that they “can be sharing something very special for US fans next week in order that we will still link in with you all in October.”
“It’s top secret for now but all can be revealed next week – stay tuned,” Kneecap said.