Barcelona are ‘rigorously evaluating’ a €50 million (£43.2m) bid from Chelsea for Fermin Lopez, in line with reports in Spain.
Chelsea remain available in the market for an additional attacking signing to bolster Enzo Maresca’s squad and have also held extensive talks with Manchester United over a deal for Alejandro Garnacho.
Nevertheless, The Athletic report that Chelsea have now made an approach to Fermin’s camp over a deal for the 22-year-old before Monday’s transfer deadline.
Meanwhile, Catalan newspaper Sport report that Chelsea have submitted a€50m (£43.2m) offer for Fermin and the attacking midfielder is ‘aware’ of the interest from the Premier League club.
Crucially, the report adds that Barcelona haven’t immediately rejected Chelsea’s bid as the cash would significantly ease their short-term financial concerns.
Your ultimate guide to the football season
Metro’s football newsletter: In The Mixer. Exclusive evaluation, FPL suggestions and transfer talk sent straight to your inbox every Friday – join, it’s an open goal.
Barcelona’s sporting director, Deco, is now leading the club’s negotiations with Chelsea.
Nevertheless, Barca’s head coach, Hansi Flick, has already made his feelings clear about Fermin’s potential departure to Chelsea.
‘I just can repeat what I said, I don’t wish to lose any players now, because it can be a troublesome season,’ Flick said last week.
‘This quality from Fermin, he’s doing very well, from last season, also after we start here, in the brand new season.
‘I’m comfortable with him and the players, and I would like to maintain everyone here, because we’re comfortable with the choices we’ve.’
Speaking earlier this month, Fermin also emphasised his desire to stay a Barcelona player.
‘I would like to remain here, and I’ll,’ the Spain international said.
‘Playing here is my dream. The brand new signings have been excellent and can help us rather a lot this season.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the most recent news on
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
MORE: Kobbie Mainoo attracting interest from 10 clubs as Manchester United face decision
MORE: Germany provide Kai Havertz injury update ahead of Arsenal’s trip to Liverpool
MORE: Cole Palmer injury latest as groin problem keeps Chelsea star out of coaching