John O’Shea fears Manchester United could be making a grave mistake in the event that they decided to sell academy graduate Kobbie Mainoo in the ultimate days of the transfer window.
Mainoo has began just 12 league games since Ruben Amorim’s arrival last November, and was an unused substitute for United’s first two games of the brand new Premier League campaign.
The 20-year-old broke through under Erik ten Hag and went on to turn out to be a mainstay within the Red Devils’ side under the Dutchman, even happening to start out for England within the Euro 2024 finals.
Nevertheless, fitness issues last campaign saw Mainoo slip down the pecking order, and the midfielder now appears to be in direct competition with captain Bruno Fernandes for one among United’s two central midfield roles.
Mainoo’s current predicament has caught the eye of several top clubs in Europe, with the midfielder said to be open to leaving Old Trafford in the hunt for regular minutes.
Your ultimate guide to the football season
Metro’s football newsletter: In The Mixer. Exclusive evaluation, FPL suggestions and transfer talk sent straight to your inbox every Friday – enroll, it’s an open goal.
And the newest reports suggest that while United will not be actively looking for to sell the academy graduate, they might be willing to money in if a proposal of around £45million is made for the midfielder.
Nevertheless, former Red Devils defender O’Shea believes the club could be silly to even entertain the concept of letting Mainoo go, given his age and potential to guide the club forward in years to return.

‘I discovered it slightly strange that the manager mentioned that he was just in competition with Bruno (Fernandes), I just found it a bit strange to take heed to,’ O’Shea told talkSPORT.
‘I do know he’s probably just putting a little bit of a challenge to him and saying: ‘Listen, that’s who you’re up against’, given Bruno has been the highest performer for the previous few seasons.
‘It’s slightly bit strange but hopefully it’s just slightly wake-up call to do something slightly bit different and rise to the challenge.

‘But he’s a high quality player and United cannot afford to be losing him or selling him for any reason in any respect.
‘He’s definitely, I hope, a part of the longer term of the club that’s going to achieve success.’
United remain winless within the league this season after being held to a 1-1 draw by Fulham last weekend, and O’Shea thinks the club ought to be focused on incomings – quite than outgoings – in the event that they are to make up the bottom on those above them.
‘They need a little bit of assist in the last week of the window to get really involved in that top-four chase,’ he added.
‘But the large thing for United will probably be the concentration on the league because they don’t have any European football.
‘They must get wins on the board because in the event that they get a little bit of momentum, it should be huge for them.
‘They’ll have loads of time to prepare for games and have loads of energy but they must keep the squad completely happy and the one method to do this is by winning.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the newest news on
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
MORE: Tottenham must add star players before transfer deadline to compete in Premier League and Champions League
MORE: The long-lasting 88-year Man Utd record that’s under threat if Kobbie Mainoo is sold
MORE: Chelsea vs Fulham: Latest team news, predicted lineups and injuries