Commentator Sergio Mora states that it’s a shame that the 35-year-old Jermell Charlo finally desires to take his profession seriously after two years out of the ring.
A Champion’s Two Lost Years
Mora says the previous undisputed junior middleweight champion Charlo’s fan base has drifted away, and he’s lost two of his best years by not fighting. Sergio believes Jermell’s rationale for returning is for the cash.
Calling Out the Flawed Fighters
- Sebastian Fundora
- Terence Crawford
- Vergil Ortiz Jr.
- Jaron ‘Boots’ Ennis
- Errol Spence
Even when he was still energetic, he would have had huge problems against the blokes he’s called out this week. Jermell (35-2-1, 19 KOs) lost to Tony Harrison and was held to a draw against Brian Castano of their first fight.
The Canelo Payday Effect
“Jermell Charlo. He’s in his mid-30s and eventually desires to take his profession seriously and are available back. It’s a shame because he had a lot that he could have given to boxing. This man fought Canelo and hasn’t fought since,” said Sergio Mora to DAZN, talking about former undisputed junior middleweight champion Jermell Charlo.
Jermell still held three of his 4 154-lb titles after his loss to Canelo Alvarez on September 30, 2023. He could have defended his IBF, WBA, and WBC junior middleweight titles. Charlo’s decision to stop fighting resulted in those titles being stripped one after the other.
“Inactivity has plagued his profession. Now, similar to other fighters, like Andy Ruiz and Adrien Broner,” said Mora. “They need to return back of their mid-30s, and folks forgot about them. Their heyday is gone. Their shine is off.”
The success that Jermell had before he stopped fighting shall be difficult to duplicate at 35. He’s gotten older, and the fighters which might be competing now are arguably more talented than his essential competition during his energetic years at 154.
When Jermell stopped fighting, these were his essential competitors at 154:
- Tony Harrison
- Jeison Rosario
- Tim Tszyu
- Brian Castano
It was only after Jermell fought Canelo Alvarez on September 30, 2023, that he became inactive. He was paid well for that fight, and it’s comprehensible why he hasn’t returned to the ring.
Mora neglected Keith Thurman. He’s one other fighter who had been out of the ring for years and recently got here back. Now, he’s getting a title shot against WBC junior middleweight champion Sebastian Fundora on October 25 after one tune-up against a lower-level fighter, Brock Jarvis.
Why Charlo Lost His Fans
“Yes, they still have a reputation. Yes, they’re former champions, but they lost their fanbase due to that inactivity because they didn’t take their profession serious. They usually made a variety of money. And while you make a variety of money, you get comfortable,” said Mora about Jermell.
Charlo wasn’t a giant star when he was still fighting. He had a following, but he wasn’t a giant pay-per-view attraction. As Mora points out, the fans that Jermell had given lost interest in him, and are focused on other fighters in the event that they’re still following the game.
Jermell can get a pleasant payday if he fights Errol Spence or Sebastian Fundora. Those are fights that may occur. His possibilities of beating Fundora can be low, and the fight can be ridiculed. The one way fans would criticize the fight is that if Jermell beat three or 4 top contenders at 154 to prove himself. Just jumping straight right into a title shot after two years out of the ring would make it obvious that Charlo’s purpose for coming back is money.
The Money-Driven Comeback
“So, I believe that Canelo payday made him [Jermell] soft. The hunger is gone, but similar to every fighter, once that cash starts dwindling and running away, and the necessity to return back, you’re coming back for the fallacious reasons,” said Mora. “You’re coming back to receives a commission the cash. That’s while you get hurt, and that’s while you look bad. And your fans, you’re not fooling them,” said Mora.
What Sergio says about Jermell’s likely rationale is what many boxing fans are saying on social media. They imagine Charlo, 35, is coming back for the cash, as he’s been inactive for 2 years. The fighters that Jermell called out on social media are mostly guys who can be far too young and energetic for him to fight.
Last Updated on 08/29/2025