The Trump administration seems intent on controlling Intel’s ability to make key business decisions around its floundering foundry business unit.
In keeping with reporting from the Financial Times, at a Deutsche Bank conference on Thursday, Intel’s CFO David Zinsner shared recent details in regards to the company’s recent cope with the Trump administration, which gave the U.S. government a ten% equity stake.
The deal was structured in a approach to penalize Intel if it spins out its foundry business unit, which makes custom chips for out of doors customers, inside the following few years.
Last week’s deal included a five-year warrant that might allow the U.S. government to take a further 5% of Intel, at $20 a share, if the corporate held lower than 51% equity in its foundry business. Zinsner said he expects that warrant to run out.
“I believe from the federal government’s perspective, they were aligned with that; they didn’t wish to see us take the business and spin it off or sell it to someone,” he said.
Zinsner added that the corporate received $5.7 billion in money on Wednesday, because of this of last week’s deal, in keeping with Reuters. (That money comes from the remaining grants previously awarded, but not yet paid, to Intel under the U.S. CHIPS and Science Act.)
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters today that the deal was still being ironed out.
Techcrunch event
San Francisco
|
October 27-29, 2025
Intel declined to comment on the deal beyond Zinsner’s remarks.
This deal structure is clearly a testament to the Trump administration’s desire to bring more chip manufacturing to america as many players within the industry turn to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company’s offshore manufacturing as a substitute.
But this warrant also forces Intel to maintain a business unit that’s losing money. Intel Foundry reported an operating income lack of $3.1 billion throughout the second quarter and has been a source of strife for the semiconductor business.
There have been calls from analysts, board members, and investors alike to spin out the struggling foundry unit, which looked like it’d actually occur last fall, before Intel Foundry’s architect, former CEO Pat Gelsinger, retired suddenly in December.