Israel soon will halt or slow aid to northern Gaza as military offensive grows – National

Israel will soon halt or slow humanitarian aid into parts of northern Gaza as it expands its military offensive against Hamas, an official said Saturday, a day after Gaza City was declared a combat zone.

The choice was likely to bring more condemnation of Israel’s government as frustration grows within the country and abroad over dire conditions for each Palestinians and remaining hostages in Gaza after nearly 23 months of war.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak to the media, told The Associated Press that Israel will stop airdrops over Gaza City in the approaching days and reduce the variety of aid trucks arriving within the north as it prepares to evacuate a whole bunch of 1000’s of individuals south.

Israel on Friday ended recently imposed daytime pauses in fighting to allow aid delivery, describing Gaza City as a Hamas stronghold and alleging that a tunnel network stays in use, despite previous large-scale raids. The United Nations and partners have said the pauses, airdrops and other measures fell far wanting the 600 trucks of aid needed each day in Gaza.

A ‘massive population movement’ coming

AP video footage showed several large explosions across Gaza overnight. Israel’s military Saturday evening said it had struck a key Hamas member in the world of Gaza City, with no details.

Story continues below commercial

In recent days, Israel’s military has increased strikes on the outskirts of Gaza City, where famine was recently documented and declared by global food security experts.

By Saturday there had been no airdrops for several days across Gaza, a break from almost each day ones. Israel’s army didn’t respond to a request for comment or say the way it would supply aid to Palestinians during one other major shift in Gaza’s population of over 2 million people.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the globe, enroll for breaking news alerts delivered on to you once they occur.

“Such an evacuation would trigger a large population movement that no area within the Gaza Strip can absorb, given the widespread destruction of civilian infrastructure and the acute shortages of food, water, shelter and medical care,” Mirjana Spoljaric, president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, said in an announcement.


It’s unimaginable that a mass evacuation of Gaza City will be done in a secure and dignified way, she said.

A whole bunch of residents have begun leaving Gaza City, piling their remaining possessions onto pickup trucks or donkey carts. Many have been forced to leave their homes greater than once.

Killed while searching for food

Israeli gunfire killed 4 people trying to get aid in central Gaza, according to health officials at Al-Awda Hospital, were the bodies were taken.

An Israeli strike on a bakery in Gaza City’s Nasr neighborhood killed 12 people including six women and three children, the Shifa Hospital director told the AP, and a strike on the Rimal neighborhood killed seven.

Story continues below commercial

Gaza’s Health Ministry said one other 10 people died as a results of starvation and malnutrition over the past 24 hours, including three children. It said no less than 332 Palestinians have died from malnutrition-related causes throughout the war, including 124 children.

Not less than 63,371 Palestinians have died in Gaza throughout the war, said the ministry, which doesn’t say what number of are fighters or civilians but says around half have been women and kids. The ministry is an element of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals. The U.N. and independent experts consider it essentially the most reliable source on war casualties. Israel disputes its figures but has not provided its own.

“There isn’t a food and even water will not be available. When it is obtainable, it will not be secure to drink,” said Amer Zayed, as he waited for food from a charity kitchen in Deir al-Balah on Friday.

“The suffering gets worse when there are more displaced people,” he added.

Israelis rally again to demand a ceasefire deal

Israelis waited to hear the identity of the stays of a hostage that Israel on Friday said had been recovered in Gaza. It also said it recovered the stays of hostage Ilan Weiss.

Forty-eight hostages now remain in Gaza of the over 250 seized within the Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7, 2023, that sparked the war. Israel had believed 20 are still alive.

Their family members fear the expanding military offensive will put them in much more danger, and so they were rallying again Saturday to demand a ceasefire deal to bring everyone home.

Story continues below commercial

“Netanyahu, if one other living hostage comes back in a bag, it’s going to not only be the hostages and their families who pay the worth. You will bear responsibility for premeditated murder,” Zahiro Shahar Mor, nephew of hostage Avraham Munder, said in Tel Aviv.

&copy 2025 The Canadian Press

Related Post

Leave a Reply