To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to an online
browser that
supports HTML5
video
Vladimir Putin has rejected Europe’s peace proposal to finish the war in Ukraine and as an alternative responded by killing 4 people in his latest aerial strike.
Russia launched a bombardment in Kharkiv killing at the very least 4 after negotiations stalled in Geneva.
The UK, Germany, and France proposed key changes to the White House’s 28-point peace plan, which was compiled with the Kremlin.
These include barring Russia from rejoining the G8, which was first enforced in 2014 after it annexed Crimea, and raising the cap on Ukraine’s army from 600,000 to 800,000.
Ukraine’s deputy foreign minister Sergiy Kyslytsa said ‘only a few things are left’ from the unique peace plan – and it seems unlikely the brand new one might be accepted by Putin.
The Kremlin has already described the plan as ‘completely unconstructive’.
(Picture: AP)

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky may fly out to Washington DC this week for talks with US president Donald Trump in a bid to finish the deadlock.
However the White House confirmed on Monday night that no meeting had been scheduled.
US and Ukrainian officials have also agreed to a 19-point peace plan, which was described as a ‘refined peace framework’.
The discussions in Geneva are being led by US Secretary of State Marc Rubio, with Trump saying ‘something good’ was coming out of the talks.
Nevertheless, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the US was the one country that wanted Russia to rejoin the G8, placing the meeting at a stalemate.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to an online
browser that
supports HTML5
video

There are other US proposals which go against Ukraine’s demands, including sacrificing territory and pledging not to hitch NATO.
President Zelensky told allies in a video call: ‘All of us proceed working with partners, especially the US, to search for compromises that can strengthen not weaken us.’
He added Russia must pay for the war and said European countries must comply with use frozen Kremlin assets.
A spokesman for prime minister Keir Starmer said: ‘Because the US-Ukraine joint statement makes clear, yesterday’s talks were a significant step towards a just and lasting peace for Ukraine.’
Get in contact with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
MORE: Two Russian ships caught by Royal Navy sailing the English Channel
MORE: Peace deal edging closer despite Trump blasting Ukraine for having ‘zero gratitude’
MORE: France should be prepared to ‘lose children’ in future war with Russia

