Estevao’s agent says Barcelona were offered the possibility to sign the forward before he joined Chelsea – but had to tug out of a proposed deal because of their precarious financial situation.
The 18-year-old attacker is widely considered to be amongst probably the most exciting young talents in world football and continues to go from strength to strength across an exceptional debut season with Chelsea.
On Tuesday night, Estevao showed Barca exactly what they let slip through their grasp with a scintillating individual display because the two sides met within the group stage of the Champions League.
The Brazilian’s sublime solo effort to double Chelsea’s lead sent the Stamford Bridge faithful into raptures, while chants of ‘You’re only a s*** Estevao!’ were directed at Lamine Yamal from the stands.
Only Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland had managed to search out the web in each of their first three starts within the competition before Estevao’s sumptuous Fifty fifth-minute strike past Joan Garcia in west London.
Get personalised updates on Chelsea on daily basis
Get up to search out news in your club in your inbox every morning with Metro’s Football Newsletter.
Enroll to our newsletter after which select your team within the link we’ll send you so we are able to get football news tailored to you.
After Liam Delap added a 3rd to place the sport to bed, a beaming Estevao described his incredible goal as probably the most ‘special’ of his profession on what was a ‘perfect night’ for him personally.
He’ll little doubt be seeking to pick up where he left off when the Blues return to Premier League motion away to top-of-the-table Arsenal this weekend.


Chatting with Cadena SER within the wake Chelsea’s 3-0 win, Estevao’s representative, Andre Cury lifted the lid on Barcelona’s long-held interest in his the teen, stretching back to 2019.
‘In 2018 I began doing reports on Estevao,’ he explained.
‘In 2019, I took Eric Abidal (Barcelona’s former sporting director) to Brazil to look at considered one of his matches and you might already see when he was 11 years old that he was different and that he desired to be a Ballon d’Or winner.’
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to an internet
browser that
supports HTML5
video
Cury continued: ‘I’ve all the time talked about him and now what I said is starting to return true.
‘I spoke with Barcelona about Estevao in 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024. We went to their offices to supply the player because I believed he had an incredible future in world football.
‘Nevertheless, Barca aren’t in a great financial position and sometimes a deal can’t be made. It’s a shame.’
Metro on the Match: Chelsea 3-0 Barcelona
Metro’s Ben Fleming breaks down the motion with the winners and losers from Stamford Bridge:
Neto impresses in recent role
Given the beginning because the central striker with Joao Pedro and Liam Delap benched, Pedro Neto was a livewire up in attack. A scarcity of composure let him down at points, but deploying him centrally could possibly be an incredible option to offer Estevao with more minutes from the beginning.
Estevao outshines Yamal
Only 18, but Estevao already looks like a person for the large occasion. A winner against Liverpool last month and now a sublime goal to virtually put this game to bed. The Brazilian easily won the battle of the teenage sensations.
Cucurella the cult hero

A faultless display from Cucurella at left-back. Provided loads of support to Garnacho in the ultimate third, and kept his fellow countryman Lamine Yamal quiet for virtually the complete 90 minutes. Revered by the fans who sang his name all night long.
Full Chelsea rankings: Sanchez 7, Gusto 6, Fofana 7, Chalobah 7, Cucurella 8.5, James 6, Caicedo 7, Estevao 9, Fernandez 6, Garnacho 6, Neto 7. Subs: Santos 7, Delap 6, Gittens N/A, Acheampong N/A, George N/A.
Yamal kept quiet

Lost his battle up against Cucurella and struggled to have any real impact on the sport. Not helped by his side going right down to ten men, but a visit to London to forget for the supremely talented teen, who made option to jeers from all 4 sides of Stamford Bridge.
Awful Araujo
The rank opposite of a captain’s display from Ronald Araujo. Picked up his first yellow for dissent and sent for an early bath before the half-time whistle for a careless challenge on Cucurella. Cost his team.
Full Barcelona rankings: Joan García 5, Kounde 6, Cubarsi 5, Araujo 3, Balde 5; Eric García 5, De Jong 6, Fermin 6, Yamal 5, Lewandowski 5, Ferran Torres 5. Subs: Rashford 5, Raphinha 5, Christensen 5, Martin N/A, Olmo N/A.
Cury claims to have spoken directly with Barcelona sporting director Deco on multiple occasion, however the ‘atmosphere’ was never right for the club to sign Estevao.
‘The technical staff all the time approved of Estevao’s signing and we met with Deco greater than once,’ he added.
‘But Deco is tied to the club and the club’s funds don’t allow for a signing for the longer term.

‘For instance, with Vitor Roque, the club rushed right into a mistake. A player can’t be signed after which, after 4 months, not be useful.
‘With what happened to Vitor, the atmosphere wasn’t right to sign Estevao.’
In line with Cury, Estevao has a ‘special affection’ for Barcelona and can be able to playing alongside Yamal in the identical team.
Nevertheless, he insists the Brazil international is ‘having fun with himself’ at Chelsea and there are not any plans regarding a move to the Camp Nou at this stage.
‘Consider the Neymar-Messi duo… it’s higher than simply having Messi or simply having Neymar,’ he said.
‘Estevao has five years left on his contract and is having fun with himself at Chelsea.
‘He has a special affection for Barca.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the newest news on
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
MORE: Enzo Fernandez reveals the fatal mistake Hansi Flick made against Chelsea
MORE: Manchester United’s £36.5m signing agrees January transfer with recent club
MORE: Scott McTominay in comparison with Arsenal star and tipped for Premier League return

