British man detained in Lebanon ‘on suspicion of spying for Israel | News World

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to an online
browser that
supports HTML5
video

A British national was arrested in Lebanon on suspicion of spying for Israel, it has been reported.

The person, who has not been named publicly, was caught photographing the Ministry of Defence, which can be the headquarters for the Lebanese Army, within the Baabda District, southeast of Beirut.

Once his cell phone was searched, authorities found a lot of calls to Israel.

The person was taken to a military prison within the Lebanese capital, where he had been held for 12 days, until his release on Wednesday evening.

Metro understands that the person was supported by the UK Foreign Office and that officials are involved along with his family and Lebanese authorities.

Meanwhile, Israeli media reported that he’s a dual British-Israeli citizen.

His arrest comes as Lebanon marked a 12 months for the reason that ceasefire between Hezbollah and Israel last November.

His arrest comes as Lebanon marked a 12 months for the reason that ceasefire between Hezbollah and Israel last November (Picture: Reuters)

After a 12 months of conflict, the decline in Israeli attacks had brought a reprieve for people in Lebanon, at the least until October.

Up to now two months, Israeli airstrikes have intensified again across the south and parts of the Bekaa Valley, in addition to a deadly bombing in Beirut on Sunday.

Five people were killed and 28 others injured in an Israeli airstrike targeting senior Hezbollah commander Haitham Tabatabai in southern Beirut.

Israeli officials claim Hezbollah is regrouping and blame the federal government and the Army for failing to maneuver quickly enough to disarm the group.

Lebanese prime minister Nawaf Salam said on Tuesday that his country faces a ‘war of attribution’, calling for taking all crucial precautions to confront any potential Israeli escalation.

He told a press conference in Beirut: ‘We’re in a war whose pace is escalating and has taken the shape of a one-sided war of attrition by Israel.

‘We’ll work to mobilize more Arab and international support to stop these attacks and push for an Israeli withdrawal.’

In keeping with the Lebanese Health Ministry, at the least 331 people have been killed and 945 wounded by Israeli fire previously 12 months.

Get in contact with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Related Post

Leave a Reply