Former prince Andrew ‘released under investigation’ 11 hours after arrest – National

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the previous prince who was stripped of his royal titles due to his links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, was released from police custody on Thursday.

Andrew was arrested earlier Thursday, his 66th birthday, on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations he sent confidential government documents to Epstein.

He left Aylsham Police Station after roughly 11 hours in custody, where he had been questioned all day by detectives from Thames Valley Police.


Click to play video: 'Epstein files: UK minister joins Starmer in urging Andrew to testify to Congress'


Epstein files: UK minister joins Starmer in urging Andrew to testify to Congress


Thames Valley Police said a person in his 60s from Norfolk in eastern England was arrested on Thursday. The force, which covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, didn’t discover the suspect — consistent with standard procedures in Britain — but pointed to the statement when asked to substantiate if the previous prince was arrested.

Story continues below commercial

In a followup statement, Thames Valley Police said the “arrested man has now been released under investigation.”

Police said that they had finished searching Mountbatten-Windsor’s home, but officers were still searching his former residence near Windsor Castle.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and world wide, enroll for breaking news alerts delivered on to you once they occur.

A Reuters photograph, taken after Mountbatten-Windsor’s release, shows him sitting low inside a automobile leaving the station near his home on the royal Sandringham Estate.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, younger brother of Britain’s King Charles, formerly often known as Prince Andrew, leaves Aylsham Police Station in a vehicle on the day he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

REUTERS/Phil Noble

Police previously said they were “assessing” reports that Mountbatten-Windsor sent trade information to Epstein, a wealthy investor and convicted sex offender, in 2010, when the previous prince was Britain’s special envoy for international trade. Correspondence between the 2 men was released by the U.S. Justice Department late last month, together with hundreds of thousands of pages of documents from the American investigation into Epstein.

While Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently denied any wrongdoing in connection together with his friendship with Epstein, concerns about his links to the late financier have dogged the Royal Family for greater than a decade.

Story continues below commercial

On the time of Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest, Assistant Chief Const. Oliver Wright said: “Following a radical assessment, we’ve now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

“It can be crucial that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to research this alleged offence,” he added.

“We understand the numerous public interest on this case, and we are going to provide updates at the suitable time.”


Click to play video: 'Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrest: Police search royal property amid Epstein investigation'


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrest: Police search royal property amid Epstein investigation


Hours after Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested, his brother King Charles II released an announcement, saying, “I even have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.”

“What now follows is the complete, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the suitable manner and by the suitable authorities,” Charles said in an announcement on Thursday.

Story continues below commercial

“On this, as I even have said before, they’ve our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” he continued. “As this process continues, it could not be right for me to comment further on this matter.”

“Meanwhile, my family and I’ll proceed in our duty and repair to you all.”

Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest was the primary time in nearly 4 centuries that a senior British royal was placed under arrest, and it underscored how deference to the monarchy has eroded in recent times.

The allegations being investigated Thursday are separate from those made by Virginia Giuffre, who claimed she was trafficked to Britain to have sex with the prince in 2001, when she was just 17. Giuffre died by suicide last yr.

Still, Giuffre’s family praised the arrest, saying that their “broken hearts have been lifted on the news that nobody is above the law, not even royalty.”

The family added: “He was never a prince. For survivors in all places, Virginia did this for you.”

— With files from The Associated Press


&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Related Post

Leave a Reply