Russia hits Kyiv with ballistic missile, damages buildings and schools – National

Russia used the powerful hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile during a mass drone and missile attack on Kyiv on Sunday that killed no less than two people, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Sunday, marking the third time the weapon has been utilized in the four-year war.

The extraordinary aerial assault damaged buildings across the Ukrainian capital, including near government offices, residential buildings, schools and a market, Ukrainian authorities said. At the least 83 people were wounded within the attack.

Air raid sirens blared through the night as smoke billowed across town from strikes. Associated Press reporters heard powerful explosions near town center and shut to government buildings.

The attack included 600 strike drones and 90 air, sea and ground-launched missiles, based on Ukraine’s Air Force. Ukrainian air defenses destroyed and jammed 549 drones and 55 missiles. Around 19 missiles failed to achieve targets, the Air Force said.

Story continues below commercial

Ferit Hoxha, Albania’s foreign minister, reported that the residence of the Albanian ambassador to Ukraine was hit in the course of the attack, denouncing it as “unacceptable” and a “grave escalation”.

The Oreshnik, which is able to carrying nuclear or conventional warheads, struck town of Bila Tserkva within the Kyiv region, Zelenskyy said on Telegram.

Russia had vowed to strike back for an attack Friday

Russia’s Defense Ministry on Sunday confirmed the weapon’s use, in addition to other missile types, to strike Ukrainian “military command and control facilities,” air bases and military industrial enterprises. The ministry added the attack was retaliation for Ukrainian attacks on “civilian facilities on Russian territory,” without giving detail.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday denounced a drone strike on a university dormitory in Russian-occupied eastern Ukraine, which Moscow blamed on Kyiv. He said there have been no military or law enforcement facilities near the faculty. Putin said he ordered the Russian military to retaliate.

The death toll from that strike had risen to 21, Russian authorities said late Saturday. They said 42 other people had been wounded within the attack the previous night. The Kremlin-installed authorities of the Luhansk region announced two days of mourning for the victims.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox because it happens so you will not miss a trending story.

At a U.N. Security Council emergency meeting on the strike, held on the request of Russia, Ukrainian Ambassador Andrii Melnyk denied his Russian counterpart’s accusations of war crimes, calling them a “pure propaganda show” and asserting that the May 22 operations “exclusively targeted the Russian war machine.”

Story continues below commercial

Kyiv’s European allies, including France’s Emmanuel Macron and Germany’s Friedrich Merz, condemned the Russian strikes and use of the Oreshnik in statements published on Sunday. Kaja Kallas, the European Union’s foreign policy chief, said top diplomats from EU states will meet inside days to “discuss find out how to dial up the international pressure on Russia.”


Click to play video: 'Russia launches major nuclear drills with Belarus amid NATO tensions'


Russia launches major nuclear drills with Belarus amid NATO tensions


Ukraine struggles to down all ballistic missiles

Zelenskyy said not all of the ballistic missiles were intercepted and that the majority of the strikes hit Kyiv, the first goal of the attack.

The apparent interception failures underscored Ukraine’s chronic shortage of air defense missiles able to downing ballistic missiles. Kyiv relies heavily on U.S. Patriot air defense systems to intercept such weapons, but interceptors remain briefly supply and are amongst Ukraine’s most urgent requests to its Western partners.

Story continues below commercial

Developing a domestically produced alternative has turn into a top priority for Ukraine’s Defense Ministry, though doing so would require time and funding.

Fires rage into the morning in Kyiv after attack


Damage was recorded in 50 locations across several districts of the capital, including residential buildings, shopping centers and schools, Ukraine’s emergency service said in a Telegram post. Police department buildings were also damaged, it said.

Fires continued to rage into the morning, complicating rescue efforts as buildings collapsed from the blasts.

“It was a terrible night, and there had never been anything prefer it in your complete war,” said Kyiv resident Svitlana Onofryichuk, 55, who had worked available in the market that was damaged for 22 years.

“I’m very sorry that I even have to say goodbye to Kyiv now, I’m not staying there anymore, there isn’t any possibility,” she added. “My job is gone, every little thing is gone, every little thing has burned down.”

Yevhen Zosin, 74, a Kyiv resident who witnessed the attack, said the moment he heard the explosion he rushed to grab his dog.

“Then there was one other explosion and he or she and I were thrown back like a pin by the shock wave. We each survived, she and I. My apartment was blown to pieces,” he said.

Story continues below commercial


Click to play video: 'Russia launches largest sustained attack of the war on Ukraine'


Russia launches largest sustained attack of the war on Ukraine


In Kyiv’s Shevchenko district, a five-story residential constructing was hit, which caused a hearth, and one person was killed, Ukraine’s state emergency service reported.

A college constructing was damaged by an attack while people sheltered inside, Mayor Vitali Klitschko said. Local authorities reported supermarkets and warehouses across town also were damaged.

Multiple communities recorded damage throughout the Kyiv region, based on Mykola Kalashnyk, who heads the regional administration.

Elsewhere, a Ukrainian drone killed a civilian within the Russian town of Grayvoron, within the Belgorod region bordering Ukraine, local authorities reported on Sunday morning.

Russia’s Defense Ministry said its forces shot down or jammed 33 Ukrainian drones overnight into Sunday, including over the Moscow region, western and southwestern Russia, and Russian-occupied Crimea.

Story continues below commercial

Associated Press author John Leicester in Paris contributed to this report.

Related Post

Leave a Reply