To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to an online
browser that
supports HTML5
video
Russia has used its hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile in an attack on Kyiv, President Volodymyr Zelensky has announced.
In a post on Telegram on Sunday, he said Russia struck town of Bila Tserkva within the Kyiv region with the missile, which is able to carrying nuclear or conventional warheads.
Russia’s defence ministry later confirmed it used the Oreshnik, in addition to other missile types, to strike Ukrainian ‘military command and control facilities’, air bases and military industrial enterprises.
The ministry said the attack was a retaliation following Ukrainian strikes on ‘civilian facilities on Russian territory’.
It marks the third time the missile – which Russian President Vladimir Putin has said reaches as much as 10 times the speed of sound and is able to destroying underground bunkers – has been utilized in Ukraine.
A minimum of two people were killed and 56 people were injured as air raid sirens blared through the night into Sunday as smoke billowed across town from the strikes.
Enroll for all of the newest stories
Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.
The combined attack included 600 strike drones and 90 air, sea and ground-launched missiles, in response to Ukraine’s Air Force.
It said Ukrainian air defences destroyed and jammed 549 drones and 55 missiles, and around 19 missiles failed to achieve targets.
Zelensky had earlier warned that Russia was planning to make use of the Oreshnik missile, citing intelligence from the US and Western partners.
Damage was recorded in 40 locations across several districts of town, including residential buildings, Kyiv military administration head Tymur Tkachenko said in a Telegram post.
Kyiv resident Svitlana Onofryichuk, 55, said: ‘It was a terrible night, and there had never been anything prefer it in all the war.
‘I’m very sorry that I even have to say goodbye to Kyiv now, I’m not staying there anymore, there is no such thing as a possibility. My job is gone, every thing is gone, every thing has burned down.’

Yevhen Zosin, 74, who witnessed the attack, said the moment he heard an explosion, he rushed to avoid wasting his dog.
‘Then there was one other explosion, and she or he and I were thrown back like a pin by the shock wave. We each survived, she and I. My apartment was blown to pieces,’ he said.
In Kyiv’s Shevchenko district, a five-storey residential constructing was hit, which caused a hearth, and one person was killed, Ukraine’s state emergency service reported.
A faculty constructing was damaged by an attack while people sheltered inside, Mayor Vitalii Klitschko said. Local authorities reported supermarkets and warehouses across town were also damaged.
Russia first used the multiple-warhead Oreshnik on the Ukrainian city of Dnipro in November 2024. It was used a second time in January within the western Lviv region.
President Vladimir Putin has said the weapon travels ‘like a meteorite’ and is resistant to any missile defence system, adding that several such missiles, even fitted with conventional warheads, could possibly be as devastating as a nuclear strike.
Get in contact with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
MORE: World War III fears mount after Russia threatens to attack more European countries
MORE: Britain’s banned vapes are being become powerful life savers
MORE: Russian warplanes intercept unarmed RAF aircraft over Black Sea

