Competitive eating legend Joey Chestnut remains to be headed to Coney Island this Fourth of July, even while serving probation. The 17-time Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest champion recently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge following a bar altercation in Indiana, but that won’t stop him from defending his title at the long-lasting annual event.
In response to reports, Chestnut pleaded guilty last month to misdemeanor battery stemming from an incident that took place on March 21 in Hamilton County, Indiana. The competitive eater was sentenced to 180 days of probation following the altercation, which reportedly unfolded after an interaction with one other bar patron.
Court records obtained by multiple outlets state Chestnut allegedly exchanged a handshake with someone who recognized him before striking the person on the side of the face “with an open hand.”
When questioned by police, Chestnut reportedly admitted he had been drinking heavily and had little recollection of what happened. He later reviewed surveillance footage and allegedly said the slap “looked like a joke” and that he didn’t realize the incident would escalate right into a police matter.
Chestnut Says He Has ‘No Restrictions’

Despite being on probation, Chestnut confirmed he has no travel limitations and remains to be free to return to Latest York City for Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest. “I actually have no restrictions,” Chestnut told USA Today.
The eating champion successfully petitioned to travel outside Indiana, where each he and the incident are based, clearing the best way for his return to the famous Coney Island competition.
Joey Chestnut’s Legal Team Speaks Out

Following the guilty plea, Chestnut’s attorney addressed the situation, saying the matter had been resolved after the athlete accepted responsibility. “My client took full responsibility for this misunderstanding and resolved the matter by pleading guilty to a lesser-included offense of Class B misdemeanor battery, one among the lowest-level misdemeanor offenses under Indiana law,” Massillamany told Us Weekly in a press release.
Chestnut’s legal team also insisted the situation was misread and emphasized his reference to fans. The 17-time hot dog-eating champion “regrets engaging and the interaction being misinterpreted.” “He strives to all the time connect in a fun manner with fans. On this case, some inappropriate things were said that Joey reacted to,” his legal team continued. “He’s committed to avoiding being in those situations going forward.”
Chestnut Dominated Nathan’s Return In 2025

The legal drama comes only one yr after Chestnut made a significant comeback at Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest. After missing the previous yr as a result of a contract dispute tied to an endorsement cope with Unimaginable Foods, Chestnut returned in 2025 and reclaimed his throne in dominant fashion. The competitive eating star consumed 70.5 hot dogs and buns in only 10 minutes, securing the $10,000 grand prize and increasing his record-breaking variety of wins to 17.
Why Was Joey Chestnut Banned in 2024?

As The Blast previously reported, Chestnut’s relationship with Nathan’s Famous hit a significant snag in 2024 after he signed an endorsement cope with Unimaginable Foods, an organization known for developing plant-based food products. The partnership quickly sparked controversy after Unimaginable Foods launched a marketing campaign aimed toward meat-eaters, prompting Major League Eating (MLE) to take motion.
On the time, MLE announced that Chestnut wouldn’t be allowed to compete in Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest, claiming the competitive eating champion had “chosen to represent a rival brand” as an alternative of Nathan’s. “For nearly 20 years, now we have worked under the identical basic hot dog exclusivity provisions,” the statement said. “Nonetheless, evidently Joey and his managers have prioritized a brand new partnership with a distinct hot dog brand over our long-time relationship.”
Joey Chestnut Addresses The Ban

Chestnut later addressed the ban publicly, expressing disappointment over missing the long-lasting event while accusing MLE of suddenly shifting expectations. “I like celebrating America with my fans throughout this great country on the 4th, and I actually have been training to defend my title,” Chestnut said. “[The decision by MLE and Nathan’s] will deprive the good fans of the vacation’s usual joy and entertainment.”
Chestnut also claimed MLE was “trying to change the foundations from past years because it pertains to other partners I can work with.”
But now, along with his legal troubles seemingly behind him and no travel restrictions in place, all eyes will likely be on whether Chestnut can once more dominate the competition and add one other Nathan’s title to his already record-breaking legacy.

