Bodycams have been found with the divers killed in a Maldives cave which could finally reveal what happened of their final moments.
Five Italians on a research trip were killed during a dive into the 160 ft deep ‘shark cave’ within the Devana Kandu cave system last week.
The bodies of ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and marine biologist Federico Gualtieri have now all been retrieved.
They were accompanied by diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, whose body was found last week.
In total six people have been killed as a part of the cave dive, with Maldivian military rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee dying from decompression illness on Saturday during a recovery mission.
Join for all of the newest stories
Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.


Three expert divers who recovered 4 of the bodies handed over GoPro cameras which were found with the group.
The footage has not yet been made public.
Nevertheless it is hoped they may piece together the group’s final moments as investigators scramble to determine what happened to the group who went deep below the really helpful depth.
They were on a research trip about soft corals on Thursday morning when the group is believed to have died around 160 ft deep.
That they had launched the expedition from the Duke of York yacht, which didn’t have a permit allowing dives of greater than 100 ft.


Monica’s husband and pa of Giorgia Carlo Sommacal told Italian media his wife ‘was top-of-the-line divers on the earth’ and would never put his daughter in danger.
He said she had carried out about 5,000 dives and was ‘never reckless’.
The Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip has denied authorising or knowing in regards to the group’s deep dive, which exceeded local limits, its lawyer told Italian local publication Corriere della Sera.
An investigation is underway to ascertain the reason for death.
Get in contact with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
MORE: First picture of bus driver killed in Battersea Bridge ‘assault’
MORE: Mosque shooters who killed three ‘livestreamed their attack’ after stealing guns
MORE: Maldives diving instructor ‘intentionally swam away’ from cave where six died

