Raúl Castro, former Cuban president, indicted by U.S. – National

Former Cuban president Raúl Castro has been indicted in the USA on murder charges, court records showed on Wednesday, in a serious escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign against the island’s communist government.

Cuba’s foreign ministry didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment. Castro, 94, last appeared in public in Cuba earlier this month, and there is no such thing as a evidence that he has since left the island or that the federal government would allow him to be extradited.

The indictment comes as U.S. President Donald Trump has pushed for a regime change in Cuba, where Castro’s communists have been in charge since his late brother Fidel Castro led a revolution in 1959.

The small print of the costs weren’t immediately available. A U.S. Justice Department official told Reuters last week on the condition of anonymity that the costs against him are expected to be based on a 1996 incident through which Cuban jets shot down planes operated by a bunch of Cuban exiles.

Story continues below commercial


Click to play video: 'US plans to file criminal charges against former Cuban president Raul Castro'


US plans to file criminal charges against former Cuban president Raul Castro


Trump in a press release earlier on Wednesday called Cuba a “rogue state harboring hostile foreign military” and framed his administration’s actions regarding the Caribbean island as a part of a broader effort to expand U.S. influence within the Western Hemisphere.


Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox because it happens so you will not miss a trending story.

“From the shores of Havana to the banks of the Panama Canal, we are going to drive out the forces of lawlessness and crime and foreign encroachment,” Trump said at a Coast Guard Academy event in Recent London, Connecticut.

Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said on Monday that the island doesn’t represent a threat.

The indictment marks a brand new low in relations between the longtime Cold War rivals.

After taking power, Fidel Castro struck an alliance with the Soviet Union, then seized U.S.-owned businesses and properties. The U.S. has since maintained an economic embargo on the nation of about 10 million.

Story continues below commercial

The 2 sides have talked intermittently through the years. Diplomatic relations briefly improved during former Democratic President Barack Obama’s second term, but Trump, a Republican, has taken a harder line.

Related Post

Leave a Reply