Canada and a number of other allied nations are calling on Israel to halt settlement expansion within the occupied West Bank as tensions within the territory proceed to escalate amid demolitions, deadly shootings and growing international scrutiny.
In a joint statement released Friday alongside Australia, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Recent Zealand, Norway and the UK, Canada warned that Israeli settlement expansion and settler violence are undermining stability and prospects for a two-state solution.
The statement specifically condemned proposed development within the controversial E1 area east of Jerusalem, saying the project would “divide the West Bank in two” and constitute “a serious breach of international law.”
In keeping with the International Court of Justice, Israeli settlements within the West Bank are widely considered illegal under international law.

Get every day National news
Get every day Canada news delivered to your inbox so you may never miss the day’s top stories.
The warning comes as Israeli bulldozers this week demolished dozens of Palestinian-owned shops southeast of Jerusalem to clear land for a road project tied to nearby settlements.
Israeli authorities said the demolitions were needed to construct infrastructure serving Palestinian communities.
But Palestinian officials said the road is an element of a broader strategy aimed toward rerouting Palestinian traffic away from a brand new highway being developed for Israeli settlements in the realm.
Violence within the West Bank has also intensified in recent days.
Earlier this week, Palestinian health officials said a 32-year-old Palestinian man died after being shot by Israeli soldiers while attempting to cross the barrier into Israel for work.
It marked the second such killing in lower than every week involving Palestinians attempting to enter Israel for employment.
Meanwhile, Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich recently ordered the eviction of a Palestinian village within the West Bank, further straining tensions within the region.
Of their joint statement, the countries called on Israel to stop expanding settlements, investigate allegations involving Israeli forces, ensure accountability for settler violence and lift financial restrictions on the Palestinian Authority.
The countries also warned businesses against participating in settlement construction projects, citing potential legal and reputational risks.
“We reaffirm our unwavering commitment to a comprehensive, just and lasting peace based on a negotiated two-state solution,” the statement said.
– With files from The Associated Press
© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

