Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National

Iran on Saturday signaled “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the U.S. after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran and the US weighs a brand new round of attacks on the Islamic Republic.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made” and “there could also be news later today.”

Iran has rebuilt military assets after weeks of war after which a fragile ceasefire, parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf said after the meeting with Field Marshal Asim Munir, state TV reported.

Qalibaf, the lead negotiator in historic face-to-face talks with the U.S. last month, also said the result could be “more crushing and more bitter” than at the beginning of the war if U.S. President Donald Trump resumes attacks.

Individually, Iran’s official IRNA news agency quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei as saying that nuclear issues will not be part of the present negotiations, as Tehran first seeks to finish the war before discussing its nuclear program that has long been at the guts of international tensions.

Story continues below commercial

Baghaei said the perimeters are attempting to finalize a memorandum of understanding and positions have moved closer in recent days.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get day by day National news

Get day by day Canada news delivered to your inbox so you may never miss the day’s top stories.

“Over the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences,” he said. “We could have to attend and see what happens over the following three or 4 days.”

Rubio said that “at the same time as I speak to you now there’s some work being done. There may be a probability that whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a pair days we can have something to say.”

Rubio repeated the U.S. stance that Iran can never have a nuclear weapon and must turn over its highly enriched uranium, and the Strait of Hormuz have to be open.

Trump earlier said he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because “serious negotiations” were underway, and on the request of allies within the Middle East. Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran after which backed off.


The U.S. and Israel sparked the war with attacks on Feb. 28, cutting short talks with Iran. Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a key waterway for the region’s oil, natural gas and fertilizer, causing global economic pain.

The U.S. then blockaded Iranian ports, and the U.S. Central Command on Saturday said U.S. forces had turned away greater than 100 industrial vessels and disabled 4 because the blockade began April 13.

Story continues below commercial

There was progress within the talks between Pakistan’s army chief and Iran’s leadership, two officials in Islamabad said, describing the discussions as moving “in the fitting direction.” The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to talk to the media on the record.

Munir also met with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, President Masoud Pezeshkian and other senior officials, the 2 officials said, adding that Islamabad continues efforts to rearrange a second round of direct negotiations.

It was not clear whether Pakistan’s army chief met with Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, who heads Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, has grow to be a serious player in formulating Iran’s tough stance in talks.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Related Post

Leave a Reply